Often times you probably find yourself constantly switching between your smartphone, laptop or tablet. Throughout your day you're using whatever device that works best for where you are and what you're doing. Because of this, it is important for marketers to focus on reaching the right audience in the right context, rather than just targeting a specific device.
Google AdWords is undergoing a massive change in order to boost its mobile revenue during a time where the company has seen its cost per click fall for five consecutive quarters. They're trying to figure out how to get users to click on ads when accessing the web from a variety of different devices.
Advertising plans that used to require separate campaigns, like ones that required bidding differently by device or by location, can now be handled in a single enhanced campaign, making it easier to reach users no matter where they are or what device they are on.
- Enable powerful bidding
- Offer smarter ads
- Complemented with advanced reporting metrics
With Enhanced Campaigns
- You'll no longer be able to target mobile devices in separate campaigns.
- Campaigns will target all devices: desktops, tablets, and smartphones.
- As a complement, google will roll out cross-device conversion tracking - conversions will span devices.
Enhanced Campaigns in AdWords
- With enhanced campaigns, you control the mobile bid adjustments. Set your bid as a % of your desktop bids.
- A "device preference" option can be set for each ad and ad extensions. This provides consistent messaging to all users, regardless of device.
- For reporting, same user awareness is critical.
Upgrading to Enhanced campaigns
- Will happen automatically in June
- All previously desktop only campaigns will begin targeting users on mobile devices
- Enhanced campaigns open up mobile targeting to your entire campaigns list
Why the change?
Over the last 5 or so years, growth in search volume from mobile phones has greatly outpaced growth in query volume from desktops the number of daily searches on Google from mobile devices is expected to surpass daily desktop search volume by next year.
Enhanced campaigns will feature ads that are optimized for devices. According to Google, new campaigns will be complete with the appropriate ad copy, links, and app or extension based on device capabilities. In addition, they will allow companies to analyze campaign performances.
Here's a closer look at enhanced campaigns.